Eileen M. Handberg, PhD, ARNP
CLINIC FAX: 352.627.4293
|BSN||Florida State University||Nursing|
|MSN||University of Florida||Nursing|
|PhD||University of Florida||Nursing|
Dr. Handberg is a Research Professor of Medicine and Director of the Cardiovascular Clinical Trials Program in the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine. She also serves the University as an Institutional Review Board member, and representative on the College of Medicine Continuing Medical Education committee. She is an Adult Nurse Practitioner and has an outpatient practice, and manages research patient care. She is program Director for the practitioner competency assessment program Florida CARES, one of only 7 Assessment Centers in the US.
An active member and current Trustee of the American College of Cardiology, Dr. Handberg serves on several committees including the ACC Scientific Sessions planning committee, PC3, Compensation, Metabolic Work Group, and is a member of the CV Team Council leadership group. She is the co-director of the ACC Core Curriculum for the Cardiovascular Clinician program, and served as co-chair of the Team-Based Work Group. She has served on several Presidential appointed committees including the search committee for the JACC Editor, and CEO search committee. She was the past Chair of the Nurse Education Committee, and has served on the Accreditation, BPQI committees and Anticoagulation Task Force. In 2009 she qualified for the designation FACC and was the first nurse (CCA) to achieve this recognition. Additionally she is a member of the American Heart Association’s Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and the Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association (PCNA), and is program director for the Vascular Biology Working Group (VBWG). She has contributed to over 90 articles, featured in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, JAMA, Circulation, and the Journal of Women’s Health, among others.
- Exercise & Lifestyle Interventions
- Ischemic Heart Disease
- Heart Disease in Women
- Heart Failure
- Yoo JK, Pinto MM, Kim HK, Hwang CL, Lim J, Handberg EM, Christou DD. Sex impacts the flow-mediated dilation response to acute aerobic exercise in older adults. Exp Gerontol. 2017 Feb 16. pii: S0531-5565(16)30353-9. doi: 10.1016/j.exger.2017.02.069. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed
- Kim HK, Hwang CL, Yoo JK, Hwang MH, Handberg EM, Petersen JW, Nichols WW, Sofianos S, Christou DD. All-extremity exercise training improves arterial stiffness in older adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2017 Feb 4. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000001229. [Epub ahead of print]
- AlBadri A, Wei J, Mehta PK, Landes S, Petersen JW, Anderson RD, Samuels B, Azarbal B, Handberg EM, Li Q, Minissian M, Shufelt C, Pepine CJ. Acetylcholine versus cold pressor testing for evaluation of coronary endothelial function. PLOS ONE. In press.
- Perin EC, Murphy MP, March KL, Bolli R, Loughran J, Yang PC, Leeper NJ, Dalman RL, Alexander J, Henry TD, Traverse JH, Pepine CJ, Anderson RD, Berceli S, Willerson JT, Muthupillai R, Gahremanpour A, Raveendran G, Velasquez O, Hare JM, Schulman IH, Kasi VS, Hiatt WR, Ambale-Venkatesh B, Lima JA, Taylor DA, Resende M, Gee AP, Durett AG, Bloom J, Richman S, G’Sell P, Williams S, Khan F, Ross EG, Santoso M, Goldman J, Leach D, Handberg E, Cheong B, Piece N, DiFede D, Bruhn-Ding B, Caldwell E, Bettencourt J, Lai D, Piller L, Simpson L, Cohen M, Sayre SL, Vojvodic RW, Moyé L, Ebert RF, Simari RD, Hirsch AT; for the Cardiovascular Cell Therapy Research Network (CCTRN). Evaluation of cell therapy on exercise performance and limb perfusion in peripheral artery disease: the CCTRN Patients with Intermittent Claudication Injected with ALDH Bright Cells (PACE) trial. Circulation. 2017 Feb 16. pii: CIRCULATION AHA.116.025707. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.116.025707. [Epub ahead of print]. PubMed
- Nelson MD, Sharif B, Shaw JL, Cook-Wiens G, Wei J, Shufelt C, Mehta PK, Thomson LEJ, Berman DS, Thompson RB, Handberg EM, Pepine CJ, Li D, Bairey Merz CN. Myocardial tissue deformation is reduced in subjects with coronary microvascular dysfunction but not rescued by treatment with ranolazine. Clin Cardiol. 2016 Dec 22. doi: 10.1002/clc.22660. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mekonnen G, Hayek SS, Mehta PK, Li Q, Mahar E, Mou L, Kenkre TS, Petersen JW, Azarbal B, Samuels B, Anderson RD, Sedlak T, Zaya M, Agarwal M, Haftbaradaran A, Minissian M, Handberg E, Pepine CJ, Cogle CR, Bairey Merz CN, Waller EK, Quyyumi AA. Circulating progenitor cells and coronary microvascular dysfunction: Results from the NHLBI-sponsored Women’s Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation—Coronary Vascular Dysfunction study (WISE-CVD). Atherosclerosis. 2016;253:111-7.
- Kawaguchi-Suzuki M, Nasiri-Kenari N, Shuster J, Gmitter F, Cancalon P, de Oliveria F, Kight J, Handberg E, Pepine C, Frye RF, Cooper-DeHoff RM. Effect of low furanocoumarin hybrid grapefruit juice consumption on midazolam pharmacokinetics. J Clin Pharmacol. 2016 Aug 9. doi: 10.1002/jcph.807. [Epub ahead of print]
- Elgendy IY, Bavry AA, Gong Y, Handberg EM, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Pepine CJ. Long-term mortality in hypertensive patients with coronary artery disease: Results from the US cohort of the International Verapamil (SR)/Trandolapril Study. Hypertension. 2016;68(5):1110-4.
- Park K, Lai D, Handberg E, Moye L, Perin EC, Pepine CJ, Anderson RD; for the Cardiovascular Cell Therapy Research Network (CCTRN). Association between high endocardial unipolar voltage and improved left ventricular function in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy. Texas Heart Inst J. 2016;43(4):291–6.
- Della Rocca DG, Willenberg BJ, Qi Y, Simmons CS, Rubiano A, Ferreira LF, Huo T, Petersen JW, Ruchaya PJ, Wate PS, Wise EA, Handberg EM, Cogle CR, Batich CD, Byrne BJ, Pepine CJ. An injectable capillary-like microstructured alginate hydrogel improves left ventricular function after myocardial infarction in rats. Int J Cardiol. 2016;220:149-54.
- Hwang CL, Yoo JK, Kim HK, Hwang MH, Handberg EM, Petersen JW, Christou DD. Novel all-extremity high-intensity interval training improves aerobic fitness, cardiac function and insulin resistance in healthy older adults. Exp Gerontol. 2016 Jun 21. pii: S0531-5565(16)30170-X. doi: 10.1016/j.exger.2016.06.009. PubMed
- Smith SM, Huo T, Gong Y, Handberg E, Gulati M, Bairey Merz CN, Pepine CJ, Cooper-DeHoff RM. Mortality risk associated with resistant hypertension among women: analysis from three prospective cohorts encompassing the spectrum of women’s heart disease. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2016 May 25. PubMed
- Rutledge T, Kenkre TS, Thompson DV, Bittner VA, Whittaker K, Eastwood J-A, Eteiba W, Cornell CE, Krantz DS, Pepine CJ, Johnson BD, Handberg EM, Bairey Merz CN. Psychosocial predictors of long-term mortality among women with suspected myocardial ischemia: the NHLBI-sponsored Women’s Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation. J Behav Med. 2016 Mar 26. PubMed
- Bairey Merz CN, Handberg EM, Shufelt CL, Mehta PK, Minissian MB, Wei J, Thomson LE, Berman DS, Shaw LJ, Petersen JW, Brown GH, Anderson RD, Shuster JJ, Cook-Wiens G, Rogatko A, Pepine CJ. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of late Na current inhibition (ranolazine) in coronary microvascular dysfunction (CMD): impact on angina and myocardial perfusion reserve. Eur Heart J. 2016;37:1504-13. PubMed
- Khaliq A, Johnson BD, Anderson RD, Bavry AA, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Handberg EM, Bairey Merz CN, Nicholls SJ, Nissen S, Pepine CJ. Relationships between components of metabolic syndrome and coronary intravascular ultrasound atherosclerosis measures in women without obstructive coronary artery disease: the NHLBI-sponsored Women’s Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation (WISE) study. Cardiovasc Endocrinol. 2015;4:45-52. PubMed Central
- Brush JE Jr, Handberg EM, Biga C, Birtcher KK, Bove AA, Casale PN, Clark MG, Garson A Jr, Hines JL, Linderbaum JA, Rodgers GP, Shor RA, Thourani VH, Wyman JF. 2015 ACC Health Policy Statement on Cardiovascular Team-Based Care and the Role of Advanced Practice Providers. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;65(19):2118-36. PubMed
- Haftbaradaran A, Zaya M, Mehta PK, Shufelt C, Lentz G, Dhawan S, Petersen J, Handberg E, Johnson BD, Pepine CJ, Leach D, Long S, Merz C. Five-year stroke rate in women with signs and symptoms of ischemia undergoing coronary angiography: a retrospective study from the NHLBI-sponsored Women’s Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation (WISE). JRSM Open. 2015 Mar 18;6(3):2054270415577761. doi: 10.1177/2054270415577761. eCollection 2015 Mar. PubMed Central
- Mohandas R, Segal MS, Huo T, Handberg EM, Petersen JW, Johnson BD, Sopko G, Bairey Merz CN, Pepine CJ. Renal function and coronary microvascular dysfunction in women with symptoms/signs of ischemia. PLoS One. 2015 May 7;10(5):e0125374. PubMed Central
- Denardo SJ, Gong Y, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Farsang C, Keltai M, Szirmai L, Messerli FH, Bavry AA, Handberg EM, Mancia G, Pepine CJ. Effects of verapamil SR and atenolol on 24-Hour blood pressure and heart rate in hypertension patients with coronary artery disease: an International Verapamil SR-Trandolapril ambulatory monitoring substudy. PLoS One. 2015 Apr 2;10(4):e0122726. PubMed Central
- Thomson LE, Wei J, Agarwal M, Haft-Baradaran A, Shufelt C, Mehta PK, Gill E, Johnson BD, Kenkre T, Handberg E, Li D, Sharaf B, Berman DS, Petersen J, Pepine CJ, Bairey Merz CN. Cardiac magnetic resonance myocardial perfusion reserve index is reduced in women with coronary microvascular dysfunction: a National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute-sponsored study from the Women’s Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation (WISE). Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015;8(4). pii: e002481. doi: 10.1161/CIRCIMAGING.114.002481 PubMed
- Mohandas R, Segal M, Srinivas TR, Johnson BD, Wen X, Handberg EM, Petersen JW, Sopko G, Bairey Merz CN, Pepine CJ. Mild renal dysfunction and long-term adverse outcomes in women with chest pain: results from the NHLBI-sponsored Women’s Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation (WISE). Am Heart J. 2015;169(3):412-8. PubMed
- Bavry AA, Gong Y, Handberg E, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Pepine CJ. Impact of aspirin according to type of stable coronary artery disease: insights from a large international cohort. Am J Med. 2015;128:137-43. PubMed
Please click here for a list of Dr. Handberg’s industry relationships.