James A. Hill, MD
Heart transplant referrals and clinic appointments: (352) 265-0751
TEL: (352) 265-0820
FAX: (352) 265-0487
ADMIN: (352) 273-9076
Dr. James A. Hill is a cum laude graduate of the University of Maryland School of Medicine where he also completed Internal Medicine training. He received an MS degree in Administrative Medicine from the University of Wisconsin in Madison. He completed training in cardiovascular diseases at the University of Florida in 1982 and has been on the faculty there since. Dr. Hill has served in a number of capacities during his tenure including Medical Director of the Cardiac Catheterization laboratories for 10 years and 10 years as Medical Director of the Heart Failure/Transplantation program. A recognized expert in both cardiac catheterization and heart failure, he is the author or co-author of more than 200 papers and book chapters. He has been an investigator in many clinical trials and served in a number of capacities in local and national professional organizations.
|BS||University of Maryland College Park||Zoology|
|MD||University of Maryland School of Medicine|
|Residency||University of Maryland & Baltimore VA Hospitals||Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||University of Florida-Gainesville||Cardiovascular Medicine|
|MS||University of Wisconsin-Madison||Administrative Medicine|
- Dr. Hill has been a principal investigator in many clinical trials most recently in the areas of heart failure and transplantation.
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Heart Failure
- Heart Transplant
- Winchester DE, Jois P, Kraft SM, Wymer DC, Hill JA. Immediate computed tomography coronary angiography versus delayed outpatient stress testing for detecting coronary artery disease in emergency department patients with chest pain. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011.
- Winchester DE, Wymer DC, Shifrin RY, Kraft SM, Hill JA. Responsible use of computed tomography in the evaluation of coronary artery disease and chest pain. Mayo Clin Proc. 2010;85:358-64. PMC2848424
- Winchester DE, Wymer DC, Shifrin RY, Kraft SM, Hill JA. Responsible use of computed tomography in the evaluation of coronary artery disease and chest pain. Mayo Clin Proc. 2010;85:358-64.
- Szady AD, Hill JA. Diuretics in heart failure: a critical appraisal of efficacy and tolerability. Drugs. 2009;69:2451-61.
- Palardy M, Stevenson LW, Tasissa G, Hamilton MA, Bourge RC, Disalvo TG, Elkayam U, Hill JA, Reimold SC; ESCAPE Investigators. Reduction in mitral regurgitation during therapy guided by measured filling pressures in the ESCAPE trial. Circ Heart Fail. 2009;2:181-8.
- O’Connor CM, Whellan DJ, Lee KL, Keteyian SJ, Cooper LS, Ellis SJ, Leifer ES, Kraus WE, Kitzman DW, Blumenthal JA, Rendall DS, Miller NH, Fleg JL, Schulman KA, McKelvie RS, Zannad F, Piña IL; HF-ACTION Investigators. Efficacy and safety of exercise training in patients with chronic heart failure: HF-ACTION randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2009;301:1439-50. [Hill]
- Flynn KE, Piña IL, Whellan DJ, Lin L, Blumenthal JA, Ellis SJ, Fine LJ, Howlett JG, Keteyian SJ, Kitzman DW, Kraus WE, Miller NH, Schulman KA, Spertus JA, O’Connor CM, Weinfurt KP; HF-ACTION Investigators. Effects of exercise training on health status in patients with chronic heart failure: HF-ACTION randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2009;301:1451-9. [Hill]
- O’Connor CM, Whellan DJ; HF-ACTION Investigators. Understanding heart failure through the HF-ACTION baseline characteristics. Am Heart J. 2009;158(4 Suppl):S1-5. [Hill]
- Piña IL, Kokkinos P, Kao A, Bittner V, Saval M, Clare B, Goldberg L, Johnson M, Swank A, Ventura H, Moe G, Fitz-Gerald M, Ellis SJ, Vest M, Cooper L, Whellan D; HF-ACTION Investigators. Baseline differences in the HF-ACTION trial by sex. Am Heart J. 2009;158(4 Suppl):S16-23. [Hill]
- Horwich TB, Leifer ES, Brawner CA, Fitz-Gerald MB, Fonarow GC; HF-ACTION Investigators. The relationship between body mass index and cardiopulmonary exercise testing in chronic systolic heart failure. Am Heart J. 2009;158(4 Suppl):S31-6. [Hill]
- Felker GM, Whellan D, Kraus WE, Clare R, Zannad F, Donahue M, Adams K, McKelvie R, Piña IL, O’Connor CM; HF-ACTION Investigators. N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide and exercise capacity in chronic heart failure: data from the Heart Failure and a Controlled Trial Investigating Outcomes of Exercise Training (HF-ACTION) study. Am Heart J. 2009;158(4 Suppl):S37-44. [Hill]
- Gardin JM, Leifer ES, Fleg JL, Whellan D, Kokkinos P, Leblanc MH, Wolfel E, Kitzman DW; HF-ACTION Investigators. Relationship of Doppler-Echocardiographic left ventricular diastolic function to exercise performance in systolic heart failure: the HF-ACTION study. Am Heart J. 2009;158(4 Suppl):S45-52. [Hill]
- Atchley AE, Kitzman DW, Whellan DJ, Iskandrian AE, Ellis SJ, Pagnanelli RA, Kao A, Abdul-Nour K, O’Connor CM, Ewald G, Kraus WE, Borges-Neto S; HF-ACTION Investigators. Myocardial perfusion, function, and dyssynchrony in patients with heart failure: baseline results from the single-photon emission computed tomography imaging ancillary study of the Heart Failure and A Controlled Trial Investigating Outcomes of Exercise TraiNing (HF-ACTION) Trial. Am Heart J. 2009;158(4 Suppl):S53-63. [Hill]
- Forman DE, Clare R, Kitzman DW, Ellis SJ, Fleg JL, Chiara T, Fletcher G, Kraus WE; HF-ACTION Investigators. Relationship of age and exercise performance in patients with heart failure: the HF-ACTION study. Am Heart J. 2009;158(4 Suppl):S6-S15. [Hill]
- Flynn KE, Lin L, Ellis SJ, Russell SD, Spertus JA, Whellan DJ, Piña IL, Fine LJ, Schulman KA, Weinfurt KP; HF-ACTION Investigators. Outcomes, health policy, and managed care: relationships between patient-reported outcome measures and clinical measures in outpatients with heart failure. Am Heart J. 2009;158(4 Suppl):S64-71. [Hill]
- Keteyian SJ, Isaac D, Thadani U, Roy BA, Bensimhon DR, McKelvie R, Russell SD, Hellkamp AS, Kraus WE; HF-ACTION Investigators. Safety of symptom-limited cardiopulmonary exercise testing in patients with chronic heart failure due to severe left ventricular systolic dysfunction. Am Heart J. 2009;158(4 Suppl):S72-7. [Hill]
- Russell SD, Saval MA, Robbins JL, Ellestad MH, Gottlieb SS, Handberg EM, Zhou Y, Chandler B; HF-ACTION Investigators. New York Heart Association functional class predicts exercise parameters in the current era. Am Heart J. 2009;158(4 Suppl):S24-30. [Hill]
Please click here for a list of Dr. Hill’s industry relationships.