Juan M. Aranda, Jr, MD
Heart transplant referrals and clinic appointments: (352) 265-0751
TEL: (352) 265-0820
FAX: (352) 265-0487
ADMIN: (352) 273-9076
Dr. Aranda is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in Cardiovascular Disease and Advanced Heart Failure/Transplant Cardiology. He is active in the treatment of cardiac transplant recipients and patients with advanced heart failure. He is a recognized expert in left ventricular assist device (LVAD) therapy.
Dr. Aranda is a current Governor of the American College of Cardiology, the Board of Governors’ Representative to the American College of Cardiology’s Heart Failure and Transplant Committee, and President of the College’s Florida Chapter.
|BS||University of Puerto Rico||Chemistry|
|MD||University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine|
|Residency||VA Medical Center, San Juan, Puerto Rico||Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||University of South Florida College of Medicine||Cardiovascular Medicine|
Dr. Aranda’s research interests include the use of cardiac devices heart failure and heart transplantation. He is principal investigator of the Paracor Ventricular Support Device trial and the Chronicle AICD Heart Failure Trial. Since his appointment at the University of Florida in 1997, Dr. Aranda has published numerous articles in the areas of heart failure and cardiac transplantation. He has been named to Best Doctors in America 2002 and 2005, Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare 2002-2003, and he is currently very active in providing service in the treatment of advanced heart failure in the State of Florida.
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Heart Failure
- Heart Transplant
- Vilaro JR, Szady A, Ahmed M, Dawson J, Aranda JM Jr. Continuous flow left ventricular assist device therapy: a focused review on optimal patient selection and long-term follow-up using echocardiography. Cardiovascular Innovations and Applications. 2015;1(1):117-9.
- Klodell CT, Massey HT, Adamson RM, Dean DA, Horstmanshof DA, Ransom JM, Salerno CT, Cowger JA, Aranda JM Jr, Chen L, Long JW, Dembitsky W. Factors related to pump thrombosis with the HeartMate II left ventricular assist device. J Card Surg. 2015;30(10):775-80. PubMed
- Qi Y, Aranda JM, Rodriguez V, Raizada MK, Pepine CJ. Impact of antibiotics on arterial blood pressure in a patient with resistant hypertension – A case report. Int J Cardiol. 2015;201:157-8. PubMed
- Dominguez-Rodriguez A, Abreu-Gonzalez P, Jimenez-Sosa A, Gonzalez J, Caballero-Estevez N, Martín-Casañas FV, Lara-Padron A, Aranda JM Jr. The impact of frailty on older patients with non-ischaemic cardiomyopathy after implantation of cardiac resynchronization therapy. Eurospace. 2015;17(4):598-602. PubMed
- Karimi A, Beaver TM, Hess PJ, Martin TD, Staples ED, Schofield RS, Hill JA, Aranda JM, Klodell CT. Close antiplatelet therapy monitoring and adjustment based upon thrombelastography may reduce late-onset bleeding in HeartMate II recipients. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2014;18(4):457-65. PubMed Central
- Park KE, Huo T, Muller KE, Aranda JM, Hill JA, Anderson RD. Drug-eluting stents may not reduce target lesion revacularization in cardiac allograft vasculopathy. J Interv Cardiol. 2014;27:80-5. PubMed
- Ahmed M, Aranda JM Jr, Schofield RS, Bell JM, Reid JA, Klodell CT. The use of left ventricular assist devices in the treatment of class IV heart failure patients: what the non-heart failure specialist needs to know. Cardiol Rev. 2013;21:37-41. PubMed
- Joseph AM, Adhihetty PJ, Buford TW, Wohlgemuth SE, Lees HA, Nguyen LM, Aranda JM, Sandesara BD, Pahor M, Manini TM, Marzetti E, Leeuwenburgh C. The impact of aging on mitochondrial function and biogenesis pathways in skeletal muscle of sedentary high- and low-functioning elderly individuals. Aging Cell. 2012;11:801-9. PubMed
- Abraham WT, Anand I, Aranda JM Jr, Boehmer J, Costanzo MR, DeMarco T, Holcomb R, Ivanhoe R, Kolber M, Rayburn B. Randomized controlled trial of ventricular elastic support therapy in the treatment of symptomatic heart failure: rationale and design. Am Heart J. 2012;164:638-45. PubMed
- Ahmed M, Le H, Aranda JM Jr, Klodell CT. Elective noncardiac surgery in patients with left ventricular assist devices. J Card Surg. 2012;27:639-42. PubMed
- Martin JS, Beck DT, Aranda JM Jr, Braith RW. Enhanced external counterpulsation improves peripheral artery function and glucose tolerance in subjects with abnormal glucose tolerance. J Appl Physiol . 2012;112:868-76. PubMed
- Marzetti E, Lees HA, Manini TM, Buford TW, Aranda JM Jr, Calvani R, Capuani G, Marsiske M, Lott DJ, Vandenborne K, Bernabei R, Pahor M, Leeuwenburgh C, Wohlgemuth SE. Skeletal muscle apoptotic signaling predicts thigh muscle volume and gait speed in community-dwelling older persons: an exploratory study. PLoS One. 2012;7:e32829. PubMed
- Zile MR, Adamson PB, Cho YK, Bennett TD, Bourge RC, Aaron MF, Aranda JM Jr, Abraham WT, Stevenson LW, Kueffer FJ. Hemodynamic factors associated with acute decompensated heart failure: part 1–insights into pathophysiology. J Card Fail. 2011;17:282-91. PubMed
- Adamson PB, Zile MR, Cho YK, Bennett TD, Bourge RC, Aaron MF, Aranda JM Jr, Abraham WT, Kueffer FJ, Taepke RT. Hemodynamic factors associated with acute decompensated heart failure: part 2–use in automated detection. J Card Fail. 2011;17:366-73. PubMed
- Wohlgemuth SE, Lees HA, Marzetti E, Manini TM, Aranda JM, Daniels MJ, Pahor M, Perri MG, Leeuwenburgh C, Anton SD. An exploratory analysis of the effects of a weight loss plus exercise program on cellular quality control mechanisms in older overweight women. Rejuvenation Res. 2011;14:315-24. PubMed
- Adamson PB, Abraham WT, Aaron M, Aranda JM Jr, Bourge RC, Smith A, Stevenson LW, Bauman JG, Yadav JS. CHAMPION trial rationale and design: the long-term safety and clinical efficacy of a wireless pulmonary artery pressure monitoring system. J Card Fail. 2011;17:3-10. PubMed
- Denardo SJ, Messerli FH, Gaxiola E, Aranda JM Jr, Cooper-Dehoff RM, Handberg EM, Gong Y, Champion A, Zhou Q, Pepine CJ. Coronary revascularization strategy and outcomes according to blood pressure (from the International Verapamil SR-Trandolapril Study [INVEST]). Am J Cardiol. 2010;106:498-503. PubMed
- Abraham WT, Aranda JM, Boehmer JP, Elkayam U, Gilbert EM, Gottlieb SS, Hasenfuss G, Kukin M, Lowes BD, O’Connell JB, Tavazzi L, Feldman AM, Ticho B, Orlandi C. Rationale and design of the treatment of hyponatremia based on lixivaptan in NYHA class III/IV cardiac patient evaluation (THE BALANCE) study. Clin Transl Sci. 2010;3:249-53. PubMed
Additional Languages Spoken:
Please click here for a list of Dr. Aranda’s industry relationships.