Anita Wokhlu, MD, FACC
TEL: (352) 273-9075
FAX: (352) 846-0314
Dr. Anita Wokhlu is an Assistant Professor for the University of Florida’s Division of Cardiovascular Medicine. She specializes in multi-modality cardiovascular imaging including echocardiography, cardiac MRI, and cardiac CT and has a special interest in their applications to patients with arrhythmia and structural heart diseases.
She obtained her medical degree at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and completed her internal medicine residency at Duke University Medical Center. She remained at the Duke Cardiovascular Medical Research Center to complete an additional year of training and research in cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). She completed her cardiovascular fellowship at Mayo Clinic Rochester, MN. There, she underwent advanced training in echocardiography with special attention to structural and valvular heart disease and completed additional fellowship training in cardiac electrophysiology. At Mayo, she was promoted to Assistant Professor of Medicine. She subsequently acquired advanced cardiac computed tomography (CT) skills prior to joining cardiology faculty at University of Florida in 2013.
|BA||Harvard-Radcliffe College||Biochemical Sciences|
|MD||Johns Hopkins Medical School||Medicine|
|Internship||Duke University||Internal Medicine|
|Residency||Duke University||Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||Mayo Clinic||Cardiology (Echocardiography)|
|Fellowship||Mayo Clinic||Clinical Electrophysiology|
Her research interests included the novel translational applications of imaging modalities, particularly CT/MRI/intracardiac echocardiography in the invasive laboratories, in addition to noninvasive prognostic assessment of patients with arrhythmia.
Her clinical interest is in the optimal use of multi-modality imaging. She performs general cardiology, and in particular enjoys the management of patients with complex structural heart disease including hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and valvular heart diseases, the noninvasive risk stratification of patients with sudden cardiac death risk, and the noninvasive management of patients with atrial fibrillation.
- National Board of Echocardiography (Comprehensive)
- ABIM Certification in Cardiovascular Disease
- ABIM Certification in Cardiovascular Electrophysiology
- Board-certified in ASNC, SCMR, SCCT
Honors and Awards:
- Fellow, Society of Cardiovascular CT, 2018
- Fellow, Society of Cardiovascular MRI, 2018
- Fellow, American Society of Echocardiography, 2017
- UF Department of Medicine, Excellence in Teaching Award, 2016
- Heart Rhythm Society, Sy Furman Travel Scholarship, 2009
- Heart Rhythm Society, Highest Scoring Fellow’s Abstract Award, 2008
- American Heart Association, Women Cardiology Trainee Award for Excellence, 2008
- National Science Scholarship, 1994-1996
- United States Presidential Scholar (Conferred by President Clinton), 1994
- Wokhlu A, Wymer D, Taasan V, Winchester DE. Effect of elevated calcium score on normal myocardial perfusion study on clinician management of coronary artery disease risk factors. Crit Pathw Cardiol. 2020 Jan 13. [Epub ahead of print]
Winchester D, Jeffrey R, Wymer D, Taasan V, Wokhlu A. Simplified approach to stress-first nuclear myocardial perfusion imaging: Implementation of Choosing Wisely recommendations. BMJ Open Qual. 2019 Apr 8;8(2):e000352.
- Winchester DE, Wokhlu A, Vilaro J, Bavry AA, Park K, Choi C, Panna M, Kaufmann M, McKillop M, Schmalfuss C. Electronic consults for improving specialty care access for Veterans. Am J Manag Care. 2019 May;25(5):250-3.
Wokhlu A, Smith SM, Gong Y, Handberg EM, Elgendy IY, Bavry AA, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Pepine CJ. 2018. Mortality implications of lower diastolic blood pressure with lower achieved systolic pressures in coronary artery disease: long-term mortality results from the INVEST U.S. cohort. J Hypertens. 2018. 36(2):419-27.
Winchester DE, Bolanos AJ, Wokhlu A, Beyth RJ, Shaw LJ. Revascularization and outcomes in Veterans with moderate to severe ischemia on myocardial perfusion imaging. Mil Med Res. 2017 Apr 1;4:12.
Winchester DE, Wokhlu A, Dusaj RS, Schmalfuss CM. Simulation-based training of transesophageal echocardiography for cardiology fellows. J Echocardiogr. 2017 Sep;15(3):147-149.
Wokhlu A, Pepine CJ. Mental Stress and Myocardial Ischemia: Young Women at Risk. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016 Aug 24;5(9).
- Wokhlu A. Changing the way we “see” scar: how multimodality imaging fits in the electrophysiology laboratory. Cardiovascular Innovations and Applications. 2016;1(2):169-78.
- Taasan V, Wokhlu A, Taasan MV, Dusaj RS, Mehta A, Kraft, S, Winchester D, Wymer D. Comparative accuracy of supine-only and combined supine-prone myocardial perfusion imaging in men. J Nucl Cardiol. 2016;23(6):1470-6
- Boilson BA, Wokhlu A, Acker NG, Felmlee JP, Watson RE Jr, Julsrud PR, Friedman PA, Cha YM, Rea RF, Hayes DL, Shen WK. Safety of magnetic resonance imaging in patients with permanent pacemakers: a collaborative clinical approach. J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2012 Jan;33(1):59-67.
- Cha YM, Wokhlu A, Asirvatham SJ, Shen WK, Friedman PA, Munger TM, Oh JK, Monahan KH, Harolds JM, Hodge DO, Herges RM, Hammill SC, Packer DL.Success of ablation for atrial fibrillation in isolated left ventricular diastolic dysfunction: a comparison to systolic dysfunction and normal ventricular function. Circa Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2011;4(5):724-32.
McLeod CJ, Shen WK, Rea RF, Friedman PA, Hayes DL, Wokhlu A, Webster TL, Wiste HJ, Hodge DO, Bradley DJ, Hammill SC, Packer DL, Cha YM. Differential outcome of cardiac resynchronization therapy in ischemic cardiomyopathy and idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Heart Rhythm. 2011 Mar;8(3):377-82.
Wokhlu A, Hodge DO, Monahan KH, Asirvatham SJ, Friedman PA, Munger TM, Cha YM, Shen WK, Brady PA, Bluhm CM, Haroldson JM, Hammill SC, Packer DL. Long-term outcome of atrial fibrillation ablation: impact and predictors of very late recurrence. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2010 Oct;21(10):1071-8.
- Wokhlu A, Monahan KH, Hodge DO, Asirvatham SJ, Friedman PA, Munger TM, Bradley DJ, Bluhm CM, Haroldson JM, Packer DL. Long-term quality of life after ablation of atrial fibrillation the impact of recurrence, symptom relief, and placebo effect. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010 May 25;55(21):2308-16.
- Wokhlu A, Rea RF, Asirvatham SJ, Webster T, Brooke K, Hodge DO, Wiste HJ, Dong Y, Hayes DL, Cha YM. Upgrade and de novo cardiac resynchronization therapy: impact of paced or intrinsic QRS morphology on outcomes and survival. Heart Rhythm. 2009 Oct;6(10):1439-47.
- Wokhlu A, Jollis JG. Dollars and stents: the economics of drug-eluting stents. Am Heart Hosp J. 2005;3:94-8.
- Milne J, Sinha-Roy R, Eliot A, Kellever N, Wokhlu A, Nickels B, Walsh CT. Cofactor Requirements and Reconstitution of Microcrin B17 Synthetase. Biochemistry. 1999;37:4768-81.