Eileen M. Handberg, PhD, ARNP
CLINIC FAX: 352.627.4293
|BSN||Florida State University||Nursing|
|MSN||University of Florida||Nursing|
|PhD||University of Florida||Nursing|
Dr. Handberg is a Research Professor of Medicine and Director of the Cardiovascular Clinical Trials Program in the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine. She also serves the University as an Institutional Review Board member, and representative on the College of Medicine Continuing Medical Education committee. She is an Adult Nurse Practitioner and has an outpatient practice, and manages research patient care. She is program Director for the practitioner competency assessment program Florida CARES, one of only 7 Assessment Centers in the US.
An active member and current Trustee of the American College of Cardiology, Dr. Handberg serves on several committees including the ACC Scientific Sessions planning committee, PC3, Compensation, Metabolic Work Group, and is a member of the CV Team Council leadership group. She is the co-director of the ACC Core Curriculum for the Cardiovascular Clinician program, and served as co-chair of the Team-Based Work Group. She has served on several Presidential appointed committees including the search committee for the JACC Editor, and CEO search committee. She was the past Chair of the Nurse Education Committee, and has served on the Accreditation, BPQI committees and Anticoagulation Task Force. In 2009 she qualified for the designation FACC and was the first nurse (CCA) to achieve this recognition. Additionally she is a member of the American Heart Association’s Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and the Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association (PCNA), and is program director for the Vascular Biology Working Group (VBWG). She has contributed to over 120 articles, featured in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Journal of the American Medical Association, Circulation, and the Journal of Women’s Health, among others.
- Exercise & Lifestyle Interventions
- Ischemic Heart Disease
- Heart Disease in Women
- Heart Failure
- Sayre SL, Bettencourt J, Cohen M, Vojvodic RW, Perin EC, Yang PC, Murphy MP, Taylor DA, Handberg E, G’Sell P, Moyé L, for the Cardiovascular Cell Therapy Research Network (CCTRN). Expectations of cell therapy: An evaluation of the Cardiovascular Cell Therapy Research Network (CCTRN) Patients with Intermittent Claudication Injected with ALDH Bright Cells (PACE) Trial. Clinical Researcher. May 2018;32(5).
- Kim S, Goel R, Kumar A, Qi Y, Lobaton G, Hosaka K, Mohammed M, Handberg EM, Richards EM, Pepine CJ, Raizada MK. Imbalance of gut microbiome and intestinal epitheilial barrier dysfunction in patients with high blood pressure. Clin Sci (Lond). 2018;132(6):701–18.
- Gong Y, Smith SM, Handberg EM, Pepine CJ, Cooper-DeHoff RM. Intensive blood pressure lowering reduces adverse cardiovascular outcomes among patients with high-normal glucose: an analysis from the Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial database. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2018;20(4):620–4.
- Wei J, Bakir M, Darouian N, Li Q, Landes S, Mehta PK, Shufelt CL, Handberg EM, Kelsey SF, Sopko G, Pepine CJ, Petersen JW, Berman DS, Thomson LEJ, Bairey-Merz CN. Myocardial scar is prevalent and associated with subclinical myocardial dysfunction in women with suspected ischemia but no obstructive coronary artery disease: from the Women’s Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation–Coronary Vascular Dysfunction study. Circulation. 2018;137:874–6.
- Birkeland K, Khandwalla RM, Kedan I, Shufelt CL, Mehta PK, Minissian MB, Wei J, Handberg EM, Thomson LE, Berman DS, Petersen JW, Anderson RD, Cook-Wiens G, Pepine CJ, Bairey Merz CN. Daily activity measured with wearable technology as a novel measurement of treatment effect in patients with coronary microvascular dysfunction: substudy of a randomized controlled crossover trial. JMIR Res Protoc. 2017;6(12):e255.
- Kenkre TS, Malhotra P, Johnson BD, Handberg EM, Thompson DV, Marroquin OC, Rogers WJ, Pepine CJ, Bairey Merz CN, Kelsey SF. Ten-year mortality in the WISE study (Women’s Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation). Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2017;10(12). pii: e003863.
- Wokhlu A, Smith SM, Gong Y, Handberg EM, Elgendy IY, Bavry AA, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Pepine CJ. Mortality implications of lower DBP with lower achieved systolic pressures in coronary artery disease: long-term mortality results from the INternational VErapamil-trandolapril STudy US cohort. J Hypertens. 2017 Sep 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Corbett DB, Wanigatunga AA, Valiani V, Handberg EM, Buford TW, Brumback B, Casanova R, Janelle CM, Manini TM. Metabolic costs of daily activity in older adults (Chores XL) study: design and methods. Contemp Clin Trials Commun. 2017;6:1-8.
- AlBadri A, Leong D, Bairey Merz CN, Wei J, Handberg EM, Shufelt CL, Mehta PK, Nelson MD, Thomson LE, Berman DS, Shaw LJ, Cook-Wiens G, Pepine CJ. Typical angina is associated with greater coronary endothelial dysfunction but not abnormal vasodilatory reserve. Clin Cardiol. 2017;40(10):886-91.
- Yoo JK, Pinto MM, Kim HK, Hwang CL, Lim J, Handberg EM, Christou DD. Sex impacts the flow-mediated dilation response to acute aerobic exercise in older adults. Exp Gerontol. 2017;91:57-63.
- Kim HK, Hwang CL, Yoo JK, Hwang MH, Handberg EM, Petersen JW, Nichols WW, Sofianos S, Christou DD. All-extremity exercise training improves arterial stiffness in older adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2017;49(7):1404-11.
- AlBadri A, Wei J, Mehta PK, Landes S, Petersen JW, Anderson RD, Samuels B, Azarbal B, Handberg EM, Li Q, Minissian M, Shufelt C, Pepine CJ. Acetylcholine versus cold pressor testing for evaluation of coronary endothelial function. PLoS ONE. 2017;12(2):e0172538.
- Perin EC, Murphy MP, March KL, Bolli R, Loughran J, Yang PC, Leeper NJ, Dalman RL, Alexander J, Henry TD, Traverse JH, Pepine CJ, Anderson RD, Berceli S, Willerson JT, Muthupillai R, Gahremanpour A, Raveendran G, Velasquez O, Hare JM, Schulman IH, Kasi VS, Hiatt WR, Ambale-Venkatesh B, Lima JA, Taylor DA, Resende M, Gee AP, Durett AG, Bloom J, Richman S, G’Sell P, Williams S, Khan F, Ross EG, Santoso M, Goldman J, Leach D, Handberg E, Cheong B, Piece N, DiFede D, Bruhn-Ding B, Caldwell E, Bettencourt J, Lai D, Piller L, Simpson L, Cohen M, Sayre SL, Vojvodic RW, Moyé L, Ebert RF, Simari RD, Hirsch AT; for the Cardiovascular Cell Therapy Research Network (CCTRN). Evaluation of cell therapy on exercise performance and limb perfusion in peripheral artery disease: the CCTRN PACE trial (Patients With Intermittent Claudication Injected With ALDH Bright Cells). Circulation. 2017;135(15):1417-28.
- Nelson MD, Sharif B, Shaw JL, Cook-Wiens G, Wei J, Shufelt C, Mehta PK, Thomson LEJ, Berman DS, Thompson RB, Handberg EM, Pepine CJ, Li D, Bairey Merz CN. Myocardial tissue deformation is reduced in subjects with coronary microvascular dysfunction but not rescued by treatment with ranolazine. Clin Cardiol. 2017;40(5):300-6.
- Kawaguchi-Suzuki M, Nasiri-Kenari N, Shuster J, Gmitter F, Cancalon P, de Oliveria F, Kight J, Handberg E, Pepine C, Frye RF, Cooper-DeHoff RM. Effect of low-furanocoumarin hybrid grapefruit juice consumption on midazolam pharmacokinetics. J Clin Pharmacol. 2017;57(3):305-11.
- Smith SM, Huo T, Gong Y, Handberg E, Gulati M, Merz CN, Pepine CJ, Cooper-DeHoff RM. Mortality risk associated with resistant hypertension among women: analysis from three prospective cohorts encompassing the spectrum of women’s heart disease. J Women’s Health (Larchmt). 2016;25(10):996-1003.
Please click here for a list of Dr. Handberg’s industry relationships.