Wilmer W. Nichols, PhD
Dr. Wilmer Nichols is a native of Boonesville, Mississippi. Under his guidance numerous fellows and young faculty members have performed research resulting in national presentations or publications in peer review journals.
|BS||Delta State University||Mathematics|
|MS||University of Southern Mississippi||Mathematics & Physics|
|PhD||University of Alabama Birmingham||Physiology & Biophysics|
- Dr. Nichols’ major interests are related to pulsatile pressure and flow in arteries. His investigations over the years have dealt with sophisticated measurements of aortic impedance and left ventricular responses to acute changes in afterload in men. He is also interested in Hemodynamics, Cardiovascular Aging, Hypertension, Exercise, and Cardiovascular Disease in Women.
- Cardiovascular Aging
- Cardiovascular Disease in Women
- Kim HK, Hwang CL, Yoo JK, Hwang MH, Handberg EM, Petersen JW, Nichols WW, Sofianos S, Christou DD. All-extremity exercise training improves arterial stiffness in older adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2017;49(7):1404-11.
- Hickson SS, Nichols WW, Yasmin, McDonnell BJ, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB, McEniery CM. Influence of the central-to-peripheral arterial stiffness gradient on the timing and amplitude of wave reflections. Hypertens Res. 2016;39(10):723-9.
- Papaioannou TG, Karageorgopoulou TD, Sergentanis TN, Protogerou AD, Psaltopoulou T, Sharman JE, Weber T, Blacher J, Daskalopoulou SS, Wassertheurer S, Khir AW, Vlachopoulos C, Stergiopulos N, Stefanadis C, Nichols WW, Tousoulis D. Accuracy of commercial devices and methods for noninvasive estimation of aortic systolic blood pressure a systematic review and meta-analysis of invasive validation studies. J Hypertens. 2016;34(7):1237-48.
- O’Rourke MF, Safar ME, Nichols WW. Nitrates in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. N Engl J Med. 2016;374(16):1587-8.
- Townsend RR, Rosendorff C, Nichols WW, Edwards DG, Chirinos JA, Fernhall B, Cushman WC. American Society of Hypertension position paper: central blood pressure waveforms in health and disease. J Am Soc Hypertens. 2016;10(5):470-1.
- Nichols WW, Denardo SJ, Davidson JB, Huo T, Bairey Merz CN, Pepine CJ. Association of aortic stiffness and wave reflections with coronary flow reserve in women without obstructive coronary artery disease: An ancillary study from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute-sponsored Women’s Ischemia Syndrome Evaluation (WISE). Am Heart J. 2015;170(6):1243-54.
- O’Rourke MF, Nichols WW. High Flow Velocity and Low Systolic Pressure: Compliance of the Aortic Wall or Venturi Effect Within. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;66(5):595-6.
- Townsend RR, Wilkinson IB, Schiffrin EL, Avolio AP, Chirinos JA, Cockcroft JR, Heffernan KS, Lakatta EG, McEniery CM, Mitchell GF, Najjar SS, Nichols WW, Urbina EM, Weber T; American Heart Association Council on Hypertension. Recommendations for Improving and Standardizing Vascular Research on Arterial Stiffness: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Hypertension. 2015;66(3):698-722.
- Rosenwasser RF, Shah NK, Smith SM, Wen X, Gong Y, Gums JG, Nichols WW, Chapman AB, Boerwinkle E, Johnson J, Epstein B. Baseline predictors of central aortic blood pressure: a PEAR substudy. J Am Soc Hypertens. 2014;8(3):152-8.
Beck DT, Martin JS, Nichols WW, Gurovich AN, Braith RW. Validity of a novel wristband tonometer for measuring central hemodynamics and augmentation index. Am J Hypertens. 2014;27(7):926-31.
Please click here for a list of Dr. Nichols’ industry relationships.