Heart Failure/Heart Transplantation
Accredited with the ACGME, we have one Heart Failure/Heart Transplant Fellowship position available. Applicants must be completing or have completed a Cardiovascular Diseases Fellowship Training Program from an ACGME Accredited Institution. We accept all Visas. This one-year advanced fellowship program is sharply focused on the evaluation and management of patients with heart failure, particularly those in need of advanced therapies such as transplantation or mechanical circulatory support. Fellows will work at the main hospital affiliate of the University of Florida, Shands Teaching Hospital. Our institution has had an established heart transplant program for over twenty years and is also a high volume center for advanced heart failure therapies including multiple modalities for temporary and durable mechanical circulatory support. The heart failure/heart transplant fellow will be trained over the course of one year to have integral responsibilities in a large multidisciplinary heart failure team that include:
- Managing an inpatient service of advanced heart failure syndromes, including perioperative management of heart transplant and left ventricular assist device recipients.
- Outpatient evaluation and management of patients with advanced heart failure syndromes, heart transplantation, and left ventricular assist devices.
- Performing a large number of diagnostic right and left heart catheterizations, endomyocardial biopsies, as well as intra-aortic balloon pump and percutaneous ventricular assist device placement.
- Active participation in a robust research program with a focus on device and stem cell therapy trials
We have a proud history of placing trainees into excellent clinical and academic practices across the country and abroad. Our recent graduating fellows have accepted positions at the following institutions:
- University of Florida College of Medicine
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Temple University School of Medicine
- The Sanger Heart & Vascular Institute
- King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, Thailand
- Orlando Health Heart Institute
- Western Kentucky Heart and Lung Associates
For consideration, please complete the application below and return to our Fellowship Coordinator Penny Bohannon. Include your current CV, three letters of recommendation (one from current PD) and a small photo. For further questions you may contact our Program Director Juan M. Aranda, Jr, MD.